Govt aims to double milk processing capacity by 2025, increase dairy productivity via genetics

New Delhi: The Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying stated in a Press communication today that milk production in India is growing by 6.4% during the last 5 years and has increased from 146.3 million MT in 2014-15 to 187.7 million MT in 2018-19. About 54% of milk produced is marketable surplus and the 46% is retained in villages for local consumption.

Out of the marketable surplus available with farmers, only 36% is handled by organised sectors evenly shared by cooperative and private sector. There is a need to bring the remaining 64% surplus milk under the organized fold through various interventions, the Ministry said, adding that in the last 2 years milk procurement is also growing by about 9% in the cooperative sector.

The Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying is working towards increasing milk productivity through genetic improvement and reduction of input cost, the Ministry explained, adding that a special programme has been launched recently for improvement of milk quality by providing the required testing facilities at village and dairy plant levels for safe human consumption.

It is proposed to further intensify the Quality Milk Programme for both cooperative and private sectors with fund sharing basis. With a thrust on better productivity, reduced input cost, and better quality milk and milk products, the competitiveness and profitability in the dairy sector will be enhanced, leading to increased demand of dairy products in domestic and international market, the Ministry said, adding that this would also bring private investments in the sector to boost growth in rural income and employment.

Public investment to further incentivise private investments will be facilitated for increasing processing facilities through convergence and leveraging the schemes of the Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Ministry of Food Processing Industries (FPI), Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare, Department of Rural Development, and State Governments.


Follow Indus Dictum on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.


Subscribe to Indus Dictum to receive a briefing about the latest news & feature articles. No spam, we promise.

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.

The ID Staff

Daily stories by the Indus Dictum Staff

Have some feedback for the author? Click here to comment.