New Delhi: “‘Strength through diversity’ gets expression in the collective effort. This is how the bravery and commendable feat of the ten doctors and paramedic staff has been appreciated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi,” said Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, during the felicitation ceremony here today, while handing over the appreciation letters from Prime Minister Modi to the team of doctors & nursing officers from Dr RML Hospital and Safdurjung Hospital who were part of the team that was successful in evacuating 645 Indian citizens and 7 Maldivan citizens from Wuhan in China, which has been the epicentre of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Harsh Vardhan said PM Modi commends the “grit, determination, and compassion displayed by the rescue team” and states that “it proves that the true test of character lies in adversity”. The appreciation letter further states that “In such a scenario, the evacuation of Indian citizens in distress has not only given relief to those rescued but has also reassured the Indian diaspora settled across the globe that, in times of crisis, the entire nation stands firmly united. Your indefatigable effort inspires every citizen to serve the nation with dedication and commitment.”
Vardhan congratulated every member of the two teams that had gone out to Wuhan, China, as part of the evacuation mission on 1 and 2 February. He also appreciated their efforts by stating that, for a medical professional, it’s not just a duty but a responsibility to help fellow citizens in times of distress, and this has been displayed very gracefully by the team.
He handed over the appreciation letters to the following medical team members:
- Dr Anand Vishal, Associated Professor of Medicine, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
- Dr Pulin Gupta, Professor of Internal Medicine, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
- Dr Yogesh Chandra Porwal, Professor and Consultant, Internal Medicine, Safdarjung Hospital.
- Dr Rupali Malik, Associate Professor of Internal Medicine, Safdarjung Hospital.
- Dr Sujata Arya, Public Health Specialist, Airport Health Organization, New Delhi.
- Dr Sanjeet Panesar, Assistant Professor, Community Medicine, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
- Manu Joseph, Nursing Officer, Safdarjung Hospital.
- Rajnish Kumar, Nursing Officer Safdarjung Hospital.
- Ajo Jose, Nursing Officer, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
- Sarath Prem, Nursing Officer, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
Health Minister Vardhan also interacted with the evacuees from Wuhan who have been housed at ITBP camp, and many of whom are being discharged to leave for their homes. These have all been found to be negative of COVID-19 and will be going back to their homes in phases.
“It is indeed a proud and satisfying moment for all of us, that our fellow citizens who have returned from Wuhan have been found to be healthy,” Harsh Vardhan stated.
Preeti Sudan, Secretary (HFW); Sanjeeva Kumar, Special Secretary (Health); Lav Agarwal, Joint Secretary; along with other officials from the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare were present during the felicitation ceremony. Sanjeeva Kumar and Dr T N Mishra, Director (Medical), ITBP, were also present during the visit of the Union Health Minister to the ITBP camp.
Letters of appreciation from Prime Minister Modi were also given to Air India staff earlier today by Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri for Wuhan COVID-19 rescue operations.
Subscribe to Indus Dictum to receive a briefing about the latest news & feature articles. No spam, we promise.