New Delhi: The Minister of State (MoS) for Health and Family Welfare, Ashwini Kumar Choubey, stated in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha today that the population of India is expected to exceed that of China around 2027 as per World Population Prospects 2019 Report, and added that as per Census 2011 the country’s Decadal Growth Rate was 17.7%;
The Government conducts periodic surveys viz. the National Family Health Survey (NFHS) and the Sample Registration System (SRS) to study the impact of various awareness programmes being conducted. The key findings of the surveys are as follows:
1. The Total Fertility Rate (TFR) has declined from 2.9 in 2005 to 2.2 in 2017 (SRS).
2. The Wanted Fertility Rate has declined from 1.9 in NFHS III to 1.8 in NFHS IV.
3. The Crude Birth Rate (CBR) has declined from 23.8 to 20.2 from 2005 to 2017 (SRS).
4. The Teenage Birth Rate has halved from 16% (NFHS III) to 8% (NFHS IV).
5. 99.5% currently married men and women have knowledge about any modern method of contraception (NFHS IV).
The Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Ashwini Kumar Choubey stated this in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha here today.
Subscribe to Indus Dictum to receive a briefing about the latest news & feature articles. No spam, we promise.